It’s time. Despite your best attempts, you’ve had no luck trying to conceive on your own and decided to book an appointment with a fertility specialist. You’ve probably done lots of research via Dr. Google, but may be unsure of just what to ask when you come face to face with the doctor who’s going to help make you a parent.
There are a few key things you’ll want to know before your first appointment comes to an end, but don’t worry; you’ll have plenty of opportunities for follow-up questions during subsequent appointments and phone calls. Fertility Specialist, Dr. Walid Saleh of CRE, Texas provides some guidance on what to focus on during your initial consultation.
We can’t overstate the importance of being prepared for your first visit. When you make your appointment, you’ll most likely be asked to bring your medical records to your fertility consultation and to pre-fill a number of forms. You may also be asked to have tests done ahead of time so the results will be ready the day of your visit. Handling all of that paperwork and testing ahead of time reduces stress and enables you to make the most of your time with your doctor.
It’s also a good idea to jot down what’s led you to this appointment. How long have you been trying to get pregnant? Have you tracked your basal body temperature or ovulation? Any information you can provide your doctor will be helpful.
Cover the Basics
Everyone’s situation is unique, but there are a few questions that we frequently hear during initial consultations at SIRM Dallas. The most commonly asked questions include:
- Why haven’t we been able to conceive on our own?
- What type of testing will we need to determine the cause of our infertility? If it’s determined that we have unexplained infertility, what path do you recommend?
- What type of treatment should we try first? Are there any risks or side effects? How many cycles do you recommend before we try something else?
- What is your success rate with the recommended treatment?
- What do you think about lifestyle modifications? Is there anything we can do to increase our chance of becoming pregnant?
- What are typical treatment costs? What if my insurance doesn’t cover certain aspects of treatment? Do you offer financing plans?
- What is more cost-effective in my situation, moving to more effective treatments or waste precious financial funds on ineffective treatments that do not solve my issues?
You’ll probably feel both excited and nervous during your first visit. It’s best to bring your partner or a good friend to help you take notes. As with any medical appointment, they’re often information-filled and you won’t want to miss anything. Expect your initial consultation to last one to one-and-a-half hours. You’ll meet your fertility specialist and, potentially, other members of your care team.
Feel free to reach out to the expert fertility specialists at CRE Dallas if you have any additional questions or concerns about this first exciting step on your path to parenthood! You can call the CRE Dallas team at 972-566-6686 or click here to schedule your first appointment with SIRM Dallas.